My name's Dave. I'm working on it.

Friday, May 16, 2008

LOLs ex Machina

Well, the hard part is over. The first few episodes of the Bu are up, and I've managed to keep to my schedule for two weeks. I'm hoping to get increasingly comfortable with just doing fun, silly comics (there's this little voice inside me that screams make it poignant! make it poignant! every time I draw) and experimenting in different styles, even if they occasionally don't work. I hope you'll bear with me, and of course, give me feedback. The style is far from being fully-formed.
I'm also looking to improve the design of the comic layout itself (moving away from Blogger and towards a more easy-to-navigate design, like most webcomics use. One strip per page, with the whole previous/next/first links, etc... if anyone can point me in the right direction for getting started with that kind of html, I'd be grateful. I'm going to give Comic Genesis a try, see if that helps. Ideally you will be able to read the comic at full size on the main page without having to click on it.

On a totally separate note, I want to share with you all something that has made getting my work done infinitely easier these past weeks.

It's called Freedom, and it is amazing.

It's sole function is to disable your wireless internet connection for a period of your choosing, up to 3 hours. It does this so you can actually be productive. As it seems to affect the wireless permissions on the kernel level (whatever that means), the only way to override it (if you feel like cheating) is to reboot your computer. If you're willing to do to get back to surfing, this program probably won't help you. I could also say a few words about the implications raised by the fact that such a program needed to be created in the first place, but I won't.

It works.

Enjoy it.




p.s. Freedom is only available for Macs at the moment (muahaha! that sentence makes me smile), though maybe if you plead with the developer he might make one for PCs as well.


Back to work!

2 comments:

  1. You could also give roxer a try. Not comics-focused, but easy site design.

    I am enjoying the comics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep posting scary things. Things that I ought to go, "Wow! Good idea! Thanks for the tip!" but which make me want to slink away and pretend I didn't see that.


    Actually, though, I'm not sure Freedom would be a big help to me -- it's seldom that I don't need the 'net to answer reference questions for me during homework.

    But once upon a time, in the days before internet, I was able to do homework without it... Or so I vaguely remember...



    Re the comic, I really like that you haven't settled into a style and are reserving the right to experiment. Watching people's creative processes is fascinating, and not something that I ordinarily get to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete